Use iPhone Backup Extractor for all your iTunes backup recovery needs
Find lost iTunes files
- Find files in older iTunes backup
- Easily preview & save individual files
Encrypted backups support
- If encrypted, only you can access your backup files
- We do not store any of your data
Easy to use
- Edit backup files manually
- Option to export in various file formats
What can be restored from your iTunes backup
Be extra careful when creating a new iTunes backup. It usually takes a little while, and you may be tempted to unplug your iPhone by mistake. Always set aside up to 20 minutes to go through the entire process, and wait patiently - without disconnecting your device - to get the “Successful backup” notification.
Even with older backups available, if they were not created properly - you can run into problems such as “corrupt backup”. Patience always pays off!
You will need
1. Download and install iPhone Backup Extractor
- Download and install the latest version of iPhone Backup Extractor. If you’re a new user, you will be downloading our free (Lite) plan, which you can use to browse and recover 4 random files from each data category.
- To unlock full iTunes backup support, you can upgrade to the Basic plan. iPhone Backup Extractor Basic supports encrypted backups as well, but you need to remember the password used when you created the backup.
- When you run iPhone Backup Extractor the first time, it should detect and iTunes backup automatically, otherwise, you have the option of adding one manually with the "+" button in the left menu.
2. Select the iTunes backup file
Click on your iTunes backup list to reveal all backups made over time.
Select one you want to recover files from. In the main window there are several tabs, each helping you navigate through available data categories and files in your backup. In this window you can recover files one by one, by app type, by data category or the entire iTunes backup.
3. Preview and restore data
You have multiple options to preview your iTunes files: "Overview" mode (the default one, available for a few categories), “Preview” mode (for messages you want to preview before), “App view” (for apps data recovery) and “Expert mode” (very useful in forensics).
Select the files you need to restore, click on "Download" and choose a place for data extraction. Your files are restored instantly on your computer.
NOTE: For some files (deleted contacts, notes etc), a full recovery may not be possible. Use an older iTunes backup instead, created before files got deleted. Don't overwrite any older backup if you need to restore deleted data from the aforementioned mentioned categories.
iPhone Backup Extractor is fully compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10, and any macOS version from 10.7 and above. See below:
Ready to test it with your iPhone?
See what iPhone Backup Extractor can do for you.
Here’s a photo of our founder Aidan (the tall guy) meeting Her Majesty the Queen Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace, after Reincubate was awarded the UK’s highest business award for our work since 2008 on developing this technology. We invented the iPhone Backup Extractor, the first tool on the market for iOS data recovery. We’re on a mission to help people make the most of their data in an ethical, transparent way. You can read more about Reincubate, our values, and our position on privacy and data security.
Can we improve this guide and help others recover more of their data, or have we helped you with your recovery? We’ve been doing this for 10 years but there’s always room to improve, and we love hearing how people get on. Why not drop us an email at the address below, or tweet us @reincubate?