Back up and keep your iOS data safe!
No matter if you are an early iOS beta adopter or using the public release iOS 11 or iOS 10 versions, if you haven't already created an iTunes backup you definitely should. Even if you have chosen to use the iCloud to backup your data, its is good to have an alternative to secure your data.
Backing up with iTunes can save all your iPhone data (iPad and iPod too) into various files within the iTunes backup folder located offline on your PC or Mac. All your iOS device data is stored - including WhatsApp, Viber, WeChat, iMessages or regular SMS text messages and your photos, videos, contacts, app data, configs and many more files.
iTunes backup file locations for your iOS data
The default iTunes backup location depends on the operating system you are running, they can be found in the following directories:
- On Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10 backups are stored in: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
- On macOS and Mac OSX, backups are stored in: \Users\(username)\Library\Application Support\MobileSync\Backup\.
The iTunes backup contains files in hex-encoded SHA1 hashes. These file hash names differ based on the type of data stored and which version of iOS the device being backed up is running. Below is summary of a few of the main data filenames found in iOS 11 and iOS 10 versions:
|Contents||Real Filename||Filename in Backup|
iPhone Backup Extractor supports recovery for both iTunes and iCloud backup data for all iOS versions. The iPhone Backup Extractor's interface simplifies access to these files with the use of previews and conversion options converting files and data often stored in SQLite into usable file types. There are often tens of thousand of files in an iTunes backup and while restoring an iTunes backup can be really easy, if you want to manage or recover any of you data outside of a restore process and iTunes, iPhone Backup Extractor is your best solution.
How to recover iOS data from iTunes backups
- Download and install iPhone Backup Extractor
- Open your iTunes backup. iPhone Backup Extractor will automatically load all the backups located under your default iTunes backup folder. If you have an iTunes backup located somewhere else simply browse to its location and add it by tapping on the 'Add backups'using the green button on the left.
- View and extract your iTunes backup data. You can chose to use one of the 4 tab choices we offer for extract your data: Overview, Preview, Expert Mode and App View. Our top menu offers as well direct shortcuts to extracting specific key data such as SMS as HTML or Calendar as ICAL.
- Overview - suited for having an overview of your available data for extraction. Simply tap on the 'Extract' next to each data category and your data is shortly with you in the format of your choice.
- Preview - here you can preview available data directly in the application before you extract to your preferred format.
- Expert Mode - suited for iOS tech experts or power users that know specifics of the exact file they're searching for or that want to get hold of a file that is not displayed under Overview and is not that popular as the main data categories like photos, SMS, Videos, contacts and the rest. A good example would be your Safari bookmarks.
- App View - suited for easy, direct access to recovering your app data. Viber, WeChat messages, pics sent over Skype or the Apple Camera pics? All data stored is here and easily accessible to extract. We are adding more app from here into the other section all the time.
Note: If you hope to recover deleted data that was once backed up in an iTunes backup, we recommend you don't sync your device with iTunes until you can recover the data from your backup or make a copy of the backup. An iTunes sync may delete or overwrite the iTunes backup data stored previously and make it impossible for your to retrieve your data.
Contact our support experts for additional help with regard to deleted iPhone data recovery or any other data recovery question. If the data exists we can help.