Earlier this year one of our customers wrote a review for the iPhone Backup Extractor. It read: "The product works perfectly. It offers functionality that should be in iTunes".
Whilst creating iTunes backups is one of the surest ways to keep files safe on iOS devices, the iPhone Backup Extractor becomes very useful when:
- you would like to access and download iTunes backup files on your computer
- you need to recover deleted or missing files from iTunes
- your iTunes backup has been corrupted and cannot be restored on your iPhone or iPad
An iTunes backup preserves what's currently on your device, so you can easily restore your apps and files at a later date. Let's say you go on a vacation, and start taking a lot of photos and making videos, until you run out of space. You delete a few photos to make some room, then an entire album by mistake.
If you want to recover them, you still can, but you must act fast! First, avoid taking more photos. This is valid for any other type of file you want to recover. New files can overwrite old files, making a full recover a bit problematic. Second, create an iTunes backup, and use the iPhone Backup Extractor to recover deleted files. It's easy. Would you like to try for yourself?
Creating, restoring and recovering data from iTunes sounds complicated, but it doesn't need to be. So we've made a simple guide for you. Follow the steps below, download the iTunes Backup Extractor, and recover four files from iTunes for free. If you need to recover more files, start with the latest version of iTunes, from Apple.
That's it! Now you have an iTunes backup downloaded on your computer that can be restored.
How to restore an iTunes backup
Now that you have an iPhone or iPad backup in iTunes, you can restore it. The backup data will replace your current data. Make sure that any new photos or files created from the date of the backup onwards are saved separately.
- Start iTunes and connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer using a USB cable.
- Go to File > Devices > Restore from backup. If you have multiple backups, choose the backup you want to retrieve from the drop down menu, and click "Restore". You can also click on the device icon, which will open a "summary" window, and click on "Restore Backup" there.
- Wait until the data is transferred to your device. NOTE: Unplugging the USB cable too early can damage your device.
How to recover missing or deleted data from an iTunes backup
Let's say you have an iTunes backup file downloaded, but instead of restoring it on an iPhone or iPad, you want to save these files to your computer. The only way you can do this is by using the iPhone Backup Extractor, which extracts these files (even deleted ones!) in a regular, accessible format.
- Download and install the iPhone Backup Extractor, then open it.
- On the left window you'll see a list with iTunes and iCloud backups. Select the iTunes backup from where you want to recover data. If the backup file is encrypted, use the password to open it.
- In the right window you'll have four tabs. Depending on data you need to recover, you can choose different ways of extraction.
- Use "Overview" mode to recover data from the shown categories. To get the files associated with the categories from this tab, click on the links in the right hand side window, select the file format, and the folder in which you want to save your files.
- Use "Preview" mode to preview and download data from a few categories: Photos, Messages, WhatsApp, Snapchat so on. Click on category you need to download and from the right window, select the files to be recovered and use the Extract button. Chose a place for extraction and the file format, then the selected data is recovered.
- Use "App View" mode to get data from the installed apps. On the right side you'll see a list of them. Select the app from where you need to recover data, then click on the blue letters and numbers from the right window. You'll be asked where you need to extract the files and which format you prefer, then the files will be recovered on your computer.
- Use "Expert Mode" to extract the data in a forensic way. Select the files to be recovered then click on Extract button and choose a place for extraction. The data will be extracted from the iCloud backup and downloaded on your computer.
Any type of data can be easily recovered as long as you have an iTunes backup and you use the iPhone Backup Extractor. If you want to be sure that your iPhone or iPad data is safe, build a habit of creating iTunes backups on your computer every month or so.
If you need guidance or want to ask us anything about data recovery, our experts are ready to answer your questions. Found this article useful? Share it with your friends and help them recover files from iTunes as well.