This year WhatsApp announced having reached 1 billion users worldwide. No doubt, if you're reading this, you are one of them. Unfortunately, Whatsapp doesn't offer a recovery solution for your files or messages.
If you need to recover WhatsApp images or videos, you can do so with iPhone Backup Extractor
Don't worry, the iPhone Backup Extractor supports all WhatsApp versions. Before you get started, keep in mind that you need to have a backup for your iPhone either on iTunes (including encrypted) or iCloud.
First, choose one of the options below, depending on how you backed up your iPhone. You will be able to extract the pictures and videos from WhatsApp in just a few minutes. To make sure you recover as many files as possible, we recommend you use a recent backup file.
However, if you've just deleted your WhatsApp messages by mistake and you want to restore them, it is best to disconnect your iPhone from Internet to prevent any new additional iCloud data synchronisation. It's also recommended that you use an older backup file, because your data could be overwritten in the cloud, and the WhatsApp messages can be lost forever. Also avoid backing up the iPhone using iTunes, if you recently deleted your WhatsApp messages.
Option 1. Extract data from iTunes backups:
- Make sure you have an iTunes backup on your computer. If you don't have one, here's where you can learn how to create and download an iTunes Backup.
- Download the iPhone Backup Extractor for Windows or Mac and install it.
- Open the iPhone Backup Extractor. From the left tab, select the backup file with your WhatsApp images and videos, and download it. The iTunes backups are automatically loaded from the default location. If your iTunes backup is encrypted, you'll need an iPhone Backup Extractor Basic license and your backup's password.
- Once your backup has finished downloading, you have 4 options to explore your files: Preview, Overview, Expert Mode or App View.
- The "Preview" mode allows you to preview WhatsApp messages and their attachments. Click on "WhatsApp", and you will see a list of all possible messages that can be extracted in the right hand side. Select messages with attachments, click on "Extract", and chose a location to save them. Messages are extracted as HTML, whilst images and videos are saved in a separate folder called "Data".
- In the "Overview" mode, click on the blue links next to "WhatsApp", then extract the messages as HTML files. Attachment are saved in a separate folder called "Data".
- In "App View" mode, select "WhatsApp Messenger" and click on the link next to "All Files". Then pick a location where you need to extract the attachments. You'll find your data in Library > Media folder.
- In "Expert Mode", access the following path Application Domain > net.whatsapp.WhatsApp > Library > Media. The "Media" folder contains all the WhatsApp attachments. Choose the Media folder then click on "Extract" to save your WhatsApp attachments.
Option 2. Recover WhatsApp images and videos from iCloud:
- Download the iPhone Backup Extractor from this page then run it. For iCloud support, you'll need a license.
- Click on the green "Add backups" button and select the "iCloud" tab. Click "Add" then insert your iCloud credentials. If you have two-factor authentication enabled, follow these instructions.
- In "Categories" tab select WhatsApp then click on "Extract". The chosen data will be downloaded from the iCloud on your computer. Depending on the size of the images and videos used as attachments, the download may take some time.
- Once the data is downloaded on your computer, the backup file can be accessed like an iTunes backup. Again, you have four ways to explore the data you need extracted: Preview, Overview, Expert Mode and App view. These are explained in the beginning of the article, at number 4
In this guide, we've covered one sure way to recover WhatsApp images and videos. If you found it useful, share it with your friends. If you have trouble recovering files from WhtsApp or any other app, get in touch and our expert team will help you.