The Unexpected iPhone 4S
The month of October 2011 was set to be another great milestone for Apple as they officially launched the much awaited newest member of the Apple range, which turned out to be the iPhone 4S. In spite of the anticipated build up and much publicized keynote delivery for new CEO Tim Cook, the industry and fan feedback seemed slightly disappointed, holding out hope for the iPhone 5 instead. Ginny Mies of PCWorld even mentioned that iPhone 4S was somehow “underwhelming”.
What does the iPhone 4S bring to the smart phone world?
We cannot deny that a lot of people have gone disappointed as they were expecting to see iPhone 5 out in the market but it turned out that majority of the rumours were untrue. Contrary to the videos and news that circulated in the internet, the appearance of iPhone 4S is pretty much identical to its predecessor, iPhone 4. The size of the display remained the same and the expected ultra-thin device was nowhere to be found. It also uses the same dual-core A5 chip that iPad 2 does, which has been released roughly 6 months ago. Nonetheless, Apple still managed to awe the market with Siri, the voice-activated software, although it was not really new because there have been other smartphones that had their own versions. To give you an idea, here are the features of iPhone 4S in a nutshell:
- Voice-activated Siri - Just say it and Siri will do the work for you. Ask it to make calls, send messages, schedule meetings and a lot more.
- Dual-core A5 Chip - “Two powerful cores” as Apple puts it, bring out the maximum potential of iPhone 4S. The same processor as the iPAD 2, it lets you switch between apps and browse the web in a snap.
- 8 Mega-pixel Camera - The iPhone 4S is also equipped with an 8MP camera with LED flash that gives great still images even in low-lit areas. Plus now it can also capture 1080p HD video instead of just 720p.
- iOS 5 - It also runs the newest OS version that has been released by Apple. Not to mention the add-ons that go along with it.
- iCloud - It also supports the latest synchronisation tool, the iCloud. Store 5GB your files and data for free and retrieve your music, photos and other files – wirelessly.
The Future of iPhone 4S
Despite the lack of big surprise that Apple was able to pull off on its previous iPhone releases, Apple still somehow managed to stay on top of the competition with the release of iPhone 4S. However, as suggested by CNET, the gap now is not as much as it was before. Whether iPhone 4S can keep Apple on top until its next big thing, that’s for you to find out in the next few months.
What do you think of the iPhone 4S and the new feature? Are you getting an iPhone 4S or ‘still’ waiting for iPhone 5?