Are you searching for a way to extract your Viber contacts from an iPhone? We have good news for you: you’re in the right place! In just a few minutes you will learn how to recover your Viber contacts from the iPhone backup.
There are two steps to achieve this:
- Identify and then extract the database where the contacts are stored
- Convert the database content in a readable format
Step 1: Identify and extract the database from the backup
In order to start the recovery of the Viber contacts from an Apple device, follow the next steps:
- Download the iPhone Backup Extractor and install it on your computer. You’ll have to choose between Mac and Windows, depending on your operating system.
- Before you start the iPhone Backup Extractor, you can check if you previously made and stored iTunes backups on your computer by using this guide. If that’s the case, the iPhone Backup Extractor will show you the data from them. Generate an iTunes backup (using the official guide from Apple) or an iCloud one (using these instructions) in case you don’t have any backup file on your computer.
Note that you need at least one Viber conversation before being able to retrieve the contacts from the phone. You also need to backup the content of the “Apps” section when iTunes will ask you about it, because the contacts database is stored in this section.
- Once you have the backup file, select it then click on "Expert Mode". Go to Application Domain > com.viber > Documents > Contacts.data, click on “Extract” and choose the folder where you want to extract the database.
The Viber contacts are now stored in the Contacts.data file.
That’s it! Now you have the database of the Viber contacts extracted on your computer. Let’s go to the next step.
Step 2: Convert the extracted database content in a readable format
To get the data from the Contacts.data database you need a tool able to read the content of this file. For this we recommend the SQLite Manager extension for Firefox.
To extract the Viber contacts, proceed to the next steps:
- Open the extension then click on Database > Connect database from the top menu and go to the folder where the Contacts.data file is stored. You can also click on the yellow browser from the menu to perform the file selection.
- Change the file extension from .sqlite to "All files" in the SQLite Manager add-on then select the Contacts.data file.
- Once the database opened, click on "ZABCONTACT" then select the “Browse & Search” tab. You’ll see the Viber contacts in the database. The contacts are available in two separate columns: "ZMAINNAME" and "ZSUFFIXNAME" (name and surname).
- You have two options now:
- Select all the rows, then click right and choose "Copy row(s) as CSV (MSExcel compatible)". Create a separate Excel file, open it, then paste the copied data in the spreadsheet.
- Another option is to export the table to a .CSV file. To do this, click on Table > Export table from the SQLite Manager add-on top menu. Then choose the format of the file and confirm the action. You’ll be asked where you want to save the data. Once you confirm the destination folder, the .CSV file will be generated and saved on your computer.
That’s it! Now you have all the Viber contacts extracted from your iPhone.
The number of Viber users has considerably increased and at the moment there are more than 754 million registered users worldwide. If you’re one of them, we hope this guide helped you to recover the Viber contacts from your device.
If you wish to extract your Viber messages, you will find a separate guide about this subject here.
In case you need additional info on this topic, don’t hesitate to contact our support team.