Have ever had your iPhone stolen or lost? Well, that happens more often than you'd think. If you're worried about the valuable data you've just lost and you're wondering if you can still extract it. We have good news for you, the answer is "Yes"!
With the help of the iPhone Backup Extractor, you can recover all your data from your iPhone, even you no longer have access to it. Maybe you're asking yourself what you can save from your stolen or lost iPhone. The iPhone Backup Extractor can download and recover all your messages, contacts, call history, images, videos and more.
These are the steps you should follow to make sure that your iPhone data is safe, even if it was stolen or lost, and you have no access to it:
- Locate the iPhone
- Extract the data from it using the iPhone Backup Extractor
- Block your lost device
- Delete the data from your iPhone
How to locate your stolen or lost iPhone
If you've just discovered that your iPhone is lost, act quickly and try to find your device using the next steps:
- Access iCloud.com then go to "Find my Phone". Depending on your settings you'll see different data. If you see only Settings, Keynote, Numbers, and Pages, your account is in web only-mode. If you need to have full access to your iCloud settings, the iCloud should be setup on your iPhone. If the iCloud is not active on your iPhone, you can't do anything to recover it. If you're lucky and you're not in this situation, go to the next step.
- In your iCloud account click on "All Devices". You'll see a list with all your devices associated with that iCloud account. Depending on their settings you'll see two types of devices: offline and online ones. The online devices are marked with a green dot and the offline ones are marked with a gray dot. If the devices marked with offline have been active in the last 24 hours, you'll see the last known location.
- Once here, click on the device you need to locate. If you're lucky, and your device is still online, you'll see it on the map. If "Find My iPhone" is unable to locate your device, you are going to see the last known location.
- Go to "Notify me when found" and activate it. You'll get an email when the phone will be started or will be online.
How to recover data from your lost or stolen iPhone
If you're unable to get back your stolen or lost iPhone, you can still recover the data from it. As long as you have an iCloud account, or a recently iTunes backup, and the iPhone Backup Extractor, you'll be able to retrieve your data.
In order to download all your data from your lost or stolen iPhone, follow the next steps:
- Download the iPhone Backup Extractor on your computer. Depending on your operating system you need to get the Mac or the Win version.
- Install it on your computer then open it.
- If you have any previous iTunes backup downloaded on your computer, the iPhone Backup Extractor will find the file, and you'll see it on your computer's screen. If you don't have an iTunes backup, download a recent one, from the iCloud. You'll need a subscription plan for iCloud access.
- Once the iTunes or iCloud backup is downloaded on your computer, use the iPhone Backup Extractor to recover the data from it. To do this, you have multiple options, depending on the data you need to retrieve:
- Go to the "Overview" tab and extract your data, clicking on the blue numbers, near the mentioned categories. Choose a location and your data will be downloaded on your computer. This method is useful when you want to recover data from the following categories: Photos, Contacts, Calendar, SMS, Recordings, WhatsApp, Videos, Voicemail, Notes, Call History and Location data.
- Go to "Preview" tab and click on the categories you want to recover. You can preview your data before deciding to download it. This method is used to extract data from categories like Photos, SMS, WhatsApp, Snapchat, Viber, Kik, Line and Hike, for example.
- Go to the "App View" tab and pick the application from where you want to extract the data. You'll see a list of files in the right tab, marked with blue letters. Click on them and choose a folder where you want to extract data. The data will be downloaded directly on your computer.
- Go to the "Photostream" option (in the left window, on top) and click on it. On the right side, you will see a "Download" button. Click on it and choose a location. Your Photostream files will arrive on your computer in a few moments, depending on the size of your data. This method is useful when you want to extract the last images and videos taken with your iPhone. Notice that the Photostream data is deleted after 30 days so it is best to hurry up with the data extraction.
- Go to "Expert Mode" and get the data you need. You can download any database or attachments associated with various categories. Find more about these files in this article.
As you can see, you can still extract and recover data from your stolen or lost device if you use the iPhone Backup Extractor. The described method can also be used for iPhones, iPads or iPods.
How to block your lost device if "Find my iPhone" is enabled
If your iPhone was stolen or lost, you can still control what happens with it. You have a few options, depending on the settings of your lost device.
If "Find my iPhone" option is enabled, you can do the following things:
- Locate your device (as we described before)
- Activate "Lost Mode" on your device, using your iCloud account. This method works for iOS 6 or later. If you have an iPhone with iOS 5, use the "Lock" option instead. If the "Lost Mode" is activated, the device will be locked with a four-digit password. You can also display a custom message on your iPhone, and you still track its location (if is active).
- Contact the Police and report your stolen or lost device. Using the iPhone serial number they can eventually track it.
Notice that the "Lost Mode" will also lock the Apple Pay if you have any credit card attached to it, so it's best to activate this mode as soon as it possible.
The "Lost Mode" can be deactivated if the entered password is correct. The "Lost Mode" can also be disabled from your iCloud account or the "Find My iPhone" app.
How to lock your device if "Find My iPhone" is not enabled
Did you lose your smartphone and the "Find My iPhone" was not enabled? If you want to block it, you have a few ways to do it:
- Go to your iCloud account and change your password. Once your Apple ID password changed, you can block anyone from accessing your iCloud account. This procedure also prevents the access to iTunes and iMessages.
- From iCloud, change the passcodes for all your associated accounts available on your lost or stolen iPhone. We suggest you change your Facebook and Twitter passwords, for example. You should also change any other important password from your lost iPhone.
- Contact your carrier and report your stolen or lost device. They can block the account associated with that number or provide you data useful to identify the thief. For example, you can find a list of the phone calls made after you've lost it then you identify the people associated with those phone numbers.
- Contact the Police and give them the serial number associated with your stolen or lost iPhone. They may eventually find it if you're lucky.
Note that if the "Find My iPhone" option is not enabled, you can't do anything to track your phone or delete it remotely.
How to remotely delete the data from your iPhone
If you've extracted your data from the iPhone and you're sure that the phone is lost forever, you may want to delete all the data from it as long as the "Find My iPhone" is enabled on your device.
Follow the next steps if you want to erase the data from your lost or stolen iPhone:
- Go to your iCloud account and access the "Find My iPhone" page.
- Select "All devices" then pick the device you need to erase.
- You'll see three options: "Play sound", "Lost Mode" and "Erase iPhone".
- Click on "Erase iPhone" then enter your Apple ID passcode to confirm your request.
After you followed the steps above, the iPhone will be erased when it is online. Notice that if the iPhone is not online it will not be erased. The phone will be deleted next time when it is online.
If you find your iPhone after deletion, you can still restore the data on it, using the iCloud account associated with your phone.
Notice that if you delete your lost iPhone data, you can't track it anymore. Also, if you remove the iPhone from your iCloud account, it can be used by another person. So, the best option for you is to delete it but keep it associated with your iCloud account. In this way, your lost device will become unusable.
How to keep your iPhone safe
In case you're asking yourself what you can make to be sure that your iPhone is not lost or stolen. Well, as you probably know, losing your iPhone is easy if you're not very careful. More important is what you can do to protect your data and eventually recover your lost or stolen device.
To be sure that your iPhone data is safe, use the following advice:
- Make iCloud backups
- Activate "Find My iPhone" on your device and keep it active
- Create an iCloud account (if you don't have one) and associate your iPhone with that account
- Make iTunes backups and save them on your PC or Mac (or, better, on multiple computers)
- Activate two-step authentication or two-step verification on your iPhone
- Use a long password for your iCloud account
- Activate the restriction passcode on your device
If you follow these rules, your iCloud and iPhone private data should be safe. Even if your iPhone is lost or stolen, you can still retrieve the data from it and find its location as long as you follow these pieces of advice.
Have you ever lost your iPhone? Did you try our method? What do you think?
If you need help with the data recovery from a lost or stolen iPhone, our support team is ready to offer its expertise and help you.